Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

Default Editing Alternative to Power Point?

G'Day 1parkpointer,

Just as there is Microsoft Office, there is also Star Office by Sun
Microsystems.

The core of Star Office is a suite of Programs known as Open Office.

Now Open Office is FREE - yes FREE.

The suite consists of programs that have a VERY FAIR degree of
compatibility with Microsoft Office. These include:
Writer (Word)
Calc (Excel)
Impress (PowerPoint)

Using Impress, and 'Save As...' 'Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt)' will
result in a
very reasonable PowerPoint Presentation.

(Similarly for Writer and Calc ...)

The suite is not as 'complete' as Microsoft Office, but you can (for
example)
insert MS Clipart (you need to locate it on your PC), your own
Pictures, charts
and various drawing shapes etc, just like PowerPoint.

I won't be giving up Microsoft Office anytime soon, but I always have
Open
Office installed - I have a number of correspondents, clients and
students that
use Open Office/Star Office and I have inter-converted numerous Word
docs
without any real problems.

Open Office also has an excellent 'Export as PDF ...' facility.

You can download open Office 2.04 at:
http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.4/index.html.

Good Luck!
--