Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default 'invite' you or 'invites' you?

Yet a company or corporation is plural? And also the government, I think?

"Tony Jollans" my forename at my surname dot com wrote in message
I would agree that, in the UK, it should be invites. Invite may well be
used but that doesn't make it correct. A council is an entity, and

singular.
Technically a council could exist, albeit inertly, without members.

The standard of English has deteriorated in the UK. No-one seems to
care any more

I care, but what annoys me more is pedantry which leads to 'corrections'
which are no better than the original.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
No it wouldn't! - Though common usage makes for sloppy grammar. My
particular pet hate is the use of 'less' when 'fewer' would have been
correct. The standard of English has deteriorated in the UK. No-one

seems
care any more

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Unless you're in the UK, in which case it would be "invite." I might
incline to "invite," anyway.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in message
1. Wrong newsgroup.

2. invites

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"chiquitaandsugar"
wrote in message
Which is correct for an invitational flyer to employees:

The City Council invite you to the 2006 Annual.........
or
The City Council invites you to the 2006 Annual........