Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How to prevent various task panes from showing?

It would be much easier to include the character styles, assigned to the
same keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+B, Ctrl+I, Ctrl+U); I believe this is the way
it is conventionally done.

"kckc" wrote in message
I found another way I can do this. Protect the styles, and add the
WordCommands in my module (i.e., Bold, Italic, Underline, etc.).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If management wants to allow bold, italics, and underline, then include

the
Strong and Emphasis character styles among those allowed, and create an
Underline character style and allow it, too.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"kckc" wrote in message
Correction on my part. The situation is more complicated than what I
explained. Management wants to prevent users from changing most

formatting
of the styles (i.e., font color, paragraph spacing, indent). However,

user
is allowed to bold, italicize, and/or underline. I realized that if I
protect the styles, then bold, italicize, etc. will also be

disallowed.
So, instead of protecting the styles, I want to prevent certain

dialogs
(font, parargraph, etc.) from showing up. I already edited and locked

down
the Menu Bar as well as other Toolbars that can display these dialogs

or
allow these changes. However, I also need to disallow the Reveal

Formatting
Pane from show up. That pane has links to the Font and other dialogs.
Is there a better approach to this? I want to protect the styles, but

users
need to bold, for example.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The Reveal Formatting task pane just shows what formatting is

applied;
there
is no way to change the formatting using that task pane. The Styles

and
Formatting task pane can be set to display only the approved styles;

if
the
document is protected for formatting, users will be able to use only

those
styles, which is what is wanted, right?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"kckc" wrote in message
Management wants to keep a consistency across documents based on

this
template. They have specified a font that the users will use.

The
requirements for this template is not to change font, font size,

spacing,
etc. I already protected the styles, but was wondering if there's

better
way of doing it, such as hiding all the dialogs and panes that can

trigger
these changes.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Why? The Reveal (not Review) Formatting and Styles and

Formatting
task
panes
offer considerable useful information. Are you ashamed of what

they
might
reveal?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"kckc" wrote in message
In Word 2003, how can I prevent the 'Review Formatting' and

'Styles
and
Formatting' task panes from showing when a user tries to

display
it?