Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lynda[_2_] Lynda[_2_] is offline

Default Merge to Three Different Letters Depending on the Value in TermYear

I am using Word 2003.

Lynda

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
Which version of Word?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Lynda" wrote in message
Thanks for your help with this. Your solution does not work in my case
because the csv file has so many fields that the headers disappear in the
recipient list so it is not possible to see the dropdown and hence
restrict the list based on the value in that field.

I cannot load the csv into Excel or Access either because there are too
many fields.

Lynda

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
Longer term it will probably be better to set up one letter (i.e.
Mailmerge main document) for each term, and use the Mailmerge Recipients
dialog (depends on the version of Word) to select the applicable
records. Within that dialog, select the little drop-down at the top of
the TermYear field and select what you need (what does the field
actually contain? Does it contain a year and a term, or just a term?).
You may need to select the Advanced... option there which leads to
another dialog box where you can set up the criteria.

Once you have made the selection, save the mail merge main document,
close it, and re-open it to ensure that your selections have not been
lost or altered (Word does not have a particularly good track record in
this area). Then test the merge (e.g. by merging to a new document).

Peter Jamieson
"Lynda" wrote in message
Hi:

I hope you can help me with this one. I have a dataset of records
(.csv file) and I want to have certain letters created in mail merge
based on the value in the TermYear field of each of these records. In
other words, if TermYear is Spring, merge to Spring letter, otherwise
merge to Fall letter. Currently, I have created a letter that just has
an IF/THEN?Else statement that grabs the correct letter and merges to
it. I find this somewhat awkward though and wondered if there is a
better way to accomplish this. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Lynda