JD

Default Macro Security

I'm confused about this issue. I read the following in Word Help:
Security Because macros can contain viruses, be careful about running them.
Take the following precautions: run up-to-date antivirus software on your
computer; set your macro security level to high; clear the Trust all
installed add-ins and templates check box; use digital signatures; maintain
a list of trusted publishers.

It also instructed me how to "remove" a macro publisher from the Trusted
list.

So I cleared the indicated checkbox and deleted two "trusted publishers,"
(both Gateway and both "expired"). Then when I opened an old document I got
a pop-up asking if I wanted to enable or disable a macro that this document
"contained." It suggested that if I "disabled," I might have trouble with
the document. So I clicke "enable." The "publisher" in this case was
Microsoft--though the permission installed showed that it "expired" in
November, 2003!

My question is, since I know nothing of macros and have no interest in using
them, is it safe for me to refuse to accept any?