Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RM

Default Want to start page 1 numbering after five pages - how?

After working on this for several hours I found the 'trick'. The 'trick' is
to insert a section break for each of the first four pages. On the fifth
page, I opened up header/footer and the footer that was then identified as
'section 5 page footer' where I inserted the page numbers begining with page
1. Now what that did to the previous pages, was cause them to be numbered
1-4. So I had to go into each section's footer and select 'Do not print page
number on first page' - since each section was only one page, that forced the
page numbers to be suppressed on 1-4. See what a pain? But now I've learned
- I do appreciate your input. It's nice to know that there is help out
there. Thanks again.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

If you have inserted a Next Page section break to start the fourth page
(note that your description doesn't match the subject line), take the
following steps:

- With the cursor on the fourth page, open the header (View Header and
Footer), so the Header/Footer toolbar appears.

- On the toolbar, click the Same As Previous button to turn it off (notice
that the words "Same As Previous" disappear from the upper right corner of
the header area).

- On the toolbar, click the Format Page Number button. In the dialog that
appears, click the Start At option button. The number 1 appears in the box
to its right, which is what you want. Click OK.

- On the toolbar, click the Page Number button to insert the page number
field. Because this section's header is no longer Same As Previous, the page
number will appear only in the section that starts on the fourth page, and
it will start numbering at 1 because of the Format Page Number setting.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

RM wrote:
I have a cover page, then a blank page, then a table of contents, and
other blank page, the fourth page begins the text that I want to
start numbering with page one. The Insert Section instructions don't
seem to be working properly. I would appreciate some tips. Thanks. R.