Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Willy Willy is offline

Default Word 2007: Possible to create named bullet style?

Thanks Stefan,

I wasn't aware of the "Link level to style" function in the multilevel
bullets definition.

So yesterday I created a new named multilevel bullet style, then created a
new named paragraph style, then used "Link level to style" to attach level 1
of my multilevel bullet style to my new paragraph style. All this was done in
a separate Word template.

Everything looked beautiful and seemed to work exactly as I wanted. But
today the bullet had disappeared from my paragraph style and when I looked up
my multilevel bullet definition it was now linked to "(no style)".

I now deleted my paragraph style, created a new one and again linked the
bullet style to my new paragraph style. However, after saving the template
and restarting Word 2007 the link had again disappeared!

Looking at the definition of the paragraph style all the correct settings
seem to be still there. But there seems to be no way to determine which
bullet style a paragraph style is linked to. It displays the settings but
doesn't show the name of my bullet style anywhere.

Looking at the bullet style doesn't help much either. It also doesn't show
in an easy way which paragraph style it has been linked to, unless you go all
the way into the dialog boxes. But the main problem seems to be that the link
I set up seems to disappear almost immediately.

I hope you're not out of suggestions yet. :-) It's hard to imagine that this
just doesn't work in Word 2007 anymore...

Best,

Willy

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Apart from Home tab | Multilevel List (where, as you have noticed, the name
isn't listed), list styles are only accessible from the Apply Styles pane
(Ctrl+Shift+S).

Note, however, that you can attach paragraph styles to each level of a list
style (yes, this approach to multilevel bullets/numbers is still recommended in
Word 2007) and then apply the paragraph styles as appropriate.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Willy" wrote in message
I'm an experienced Word developer but have so far been unable to find a good
solution for bullet styles in Word 2007, even after spending a lot of time
searching and researching.

In Word 2003 I could quickly and easily define a named bullet style, add it
to a template and have it work perfectly all the time. No lost bullets, no
changed indentation settings - just working like you would expect of any
style, bullet or not.

Is it at all possible to define a _named_ bullet style in Word 2007 with
the same reliable functionality as in previous versions?

I have been able to define a bullet style in a template and it looks perfect
at the time of creation. But the next time I use the template the bullet has
disappeared and/or the indentation settings changed.

I know I can manipulate list styles and multilevel lists and have actually
used "Define new bullet..." to define a new and named bullet style.

However, this type of style doesn't show up in the style list and though I'm
able to select it from the multilevel list ribbon button, its style name
isn't shown in the document either. It just shows the underlying style name,
for example Normal. Therefore there is no way for the user to double check if
the correct style has been applied.

This isn't just nice to have in everyday Word use but in my application
(producing magazine articles) it is important that every piece of text has a
clearly named style since the document's next stop is InDesign where Word
styles will be mapped to InDesign styles.

Surely this must be possible?

Willy

.