Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Default table of contents / links / slowness issues

Hi ,

However, point & click table of contents would be preferred because it
takes up less horizontal screen space, and allows the TOC to update
itself if there are additons / deletions to the word.docs. Is the
slowness that I described something that I would have to live with if I
were to use it?

I'd say yes, unless you're willing to lock the fields so that they can't
update automatically. Try: Ctrl+A, Ctrl+F11 to lock the fields. Now use
your TOC. Then Ctrl+A, Ctrl+Shift+F11 to unlock the fields again.

If this is satisfactory, you only need to determine how often the fields
must be updated. You could, for example, include an AutoOpen macro that
unlocks, updates, then relocks the fields.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org