Jeni Q

In the MS Help, it says the following:
Restore a mail merge main document to a regular document
By removing the associated data source from a main document, you can
convert it to a regular document.

1.. Open the main document from which you want to remove the data
source.
2.. On the View menu, point to Toolbars, and then click Mail Merge.
3.. Click Main Document Setup .
4.. Click Normal Word document.

OK, so I tried this on one of these completed documents and the radio button
is already set to Normal Word Document.

It may be helpful to explain what I'm doing. I have a letter that has form
fields in it. These fields relate back to an excel spreadsheet. When the
user wants to create a new letter, he updates the fields in the spreadsheet.
He is typically creating one letter at a time, not many. The fields are
manually entered into the spreadsheet in one location, and they are copied
from that location to a temporary place in the spreadsheet. That way he can
keep a record of the letters he's sent, but has a separate page in which he
can paste one row of data for a single merge. The Word template is
associated to the data, and the location of the data always remains the
same.

It must be something about the template, the way it stores the connection to
the data fields...

"Jeni Q" wrote in message
: Hello. I've read KB 825765 so I understand when and why I get prompted
with
: the "Opening this will run the following SQL command" message when you
open
: a Word mail merge main document that is linked to a data source.
:
: However, I do not understand why I get prompted for the document after the
: merge has run and my new document has been created and saved. When I close
: and reopen the newly created document, I still get the prompt. There is
: obviously a data attachment still existing. Is there any way to break that
: attachment?
:
: I may not be understanding clearly how the merge process worked. I thought
: it brought data into the new document and that's it. Is it continuously
: going to the data source to get the data?
:
: Any help/advice would be appreciated.
:
: Thanks,