Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Franco

Default Why dont MS just f**king re-write Word from scratch? Its dogsh

I understand. I was a WordPerfect user until the company made us switch to
Word in 1998. I went kicking and screaming. The 1998 version of WordPerfect
is still ahead of Word.
Use WordPerfect and convert it to Word.
I get very frustrated with the Word's unfriendliness. Most of the users
that say you just need to 'learn Word' are correct. If you want to know
Word, you have to study it.
WordPerfect is so intuitive you can do three times as much without having to
'learn' in.
Using Word, but would prefer not to.
--
Frances

"Word Hater" wrote:

Granted, 'storming in' here with a the subject and handle that I have used is
going to raise a few people's backs and cause a little comotion. However, I
have not directly offended anyone on this thread. I have challenged them to
answer some of my questions, but this is mere discussion and debate. The only
direct target of my venom is a collusal software company that should know
better. If you are offended by my comments then I can only come to the
conclusion that you are one of the developers of Word. This being the case I
severely doubt that all the problems that I am having with Word are down to
you. My point in all this being, Jez, is that I resent the 'dickhead' tag.

I do not expect answers as to why these things are happening either as
without people seeing it for themselves, its going to be very difficult for
them to provide an answer anyway. I am merely venting a little of my
frustration and would like some exceptance that Word is quite a buggy bit of
software and it can be quite un-intuitive at times.

As Patrick quite rightly states, no software is bug-free and being a
software developer myself I can fully appreciate this. MS Word is not a life
critical piece of software (although you could argue it is as over the years
I have had moments where I've wanted to end it all, thanks to Word )
whereas Nasa's software most likely is (I wonder if they use Word...). I'm
just saying that a software company like Microsoft that probably has the most
amount of time, money and resources in the world, plus a version history of
Word spanning over a decade or two, you'd think they'd be able to iron out
silly little bugs like the ones I'm seeing. If it were a tiny little software
house or bit of freeware, I would have no problems with these issues. The
fact that its Microsoft means that there's no excuse.

And before you think I'm a Microsoft basher, you couldnt be further from the
truth. I believe Microsoft is one of the most important companies in the
world today and if it wasnt for them we wouldnt be enjoying anything like the
advancement in home and professional PC usage we see today. I can't see the
point in Macs other than a marketing tool to get computing to look 'cool'.
There's nothing you can do on a mac that you cant do on a PC with windows,
but this is a whole new debate I dont even want to start. So before any MS
bods monitoring this thread get my real identity and burn my house down, I'd
like to say that Im only unhappy with Word. The rest is great.

Hope I've cleared things up, angry people.

"Jezebel" wrote:

You storm in, announce to the world that you're a dickhead, and expect
answer from the people you abuse? Gee, did the dog fart in your bed last
night?

"Word Hater" wrote in message
Im not gonna give up here. Yeah my attitude is a bit whiffy but lets get
the point. Tell me why it changed all my headings from numbers to letters
simply by switching applications. Im sorry, but give me all the books you
want, that is a bug.

No one has given me an answer for why that happened and I dont expect one.
My point is, is that Microsoft is one of the biggest software producers in
the world and its still releases software with bugs and little niggles
that
make you scratch your head or scream vulgar obsenities at it. In addition
it
also crashes a fair bit and corrupts the odd file now and again for no
reason. As I have repeated, I could be an expert in Word but I would have
no
control over these problems.

Look at Propellerhead software's Reason. Its a real-time, cpu intensive,
hardware emulating sythesizer and music sequencer package. It can do all
manner of ridiculous things all at once. Do you know how many times its
crashed or acted in a way that confused me in the last 3 years Ive been
using
it? None. True, its not a word processor, but if a small Sweedish company
can
write software that can manage to do all these very techinical, cpu
intesive
things all at once without dropping a single note or crashing ever and
Microsoft having trouble 'displaying a bit of text' what hope is there?!?

MS Word IS buggy. It IS un-intuitive. No amount of reading up can change
this. The fact that you suggest I should have to read a book to know how
do these, lets face it, very basic tasks, only highlights its
un-intuitiveness.

ha.

"Patrick Schmid" wrote:

Your points are too generic and obviously come from someone who hasn't
even tried to understand how Word works. Combined with the attitude you
came in here, I don't think that many people here are going to be
extremely willing to refute every single detailed point. Come back with
a different name and an attitude that searches for help on how to do
things instead of blasting Word, and you'll find a more receptive
audience.

"Word Hater" wrote in message
:

No, you've completed avoided my points and repeated what you said in
the
first place. What about when it changed my heading numbering when I
switched
applications? What about it being very un-intuitive at times? These are
the
points Im trying to make.

"Jezebel" wrote:

Yes: invest time to learn a bit more about indentation you would
understand
why it is doing what it is doing.

"Word Hater" wrote in message
And my other points.....do you have a response to them?

"Jezebel" wrote:

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as bitter but I am. Maybe if I
invested
time
to learn a bit more about indentation I would understand why it
is
doing
what
it is doing.