Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Altering left margin but keeping tab positions unchanged?

If you use styles to format your document tabs can usually be avoided
altogether, but at least you only have one place to change them.
Tabs can make a document very difficult to re-edit. I have a regular
correspondent who insists on using them to excess in a newsletter. I counted
519 of them in the last one of only two pages!

Bert Coules wrote:
Graham Mayor wrote:

Tabs are measured from the margin so if you move the margin, you
will have to change the tab positions in order for them to remain in
the same position on the page.

Ah, thanks for that. I knew it, of course, but I was hoping that
there might be an option somewhere to set tabs in absolute rather
than relative positions - a bit like that old-fashioned writing
device, the typewriter.
For some reason, I always seem to have minor difficulties resetting
tabs in a whole document. I select the entire text and fiddle away
(either on the ruler or more usually in the menu) but the results
tend to be a bit variable. I just need more practice, I guess.

Bert