Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
djprius djprius is offline

Default Converting Docs from WordPerfect: 'Lost' Converter

When I went to download the trial version of Home/Student, I could
not commence the download without entering information as though I were
a new user. I was concerned that the trial version authentication might
"mess up" my paid license -- so I didn't download it.

However, a friend gave me his disk of Home/Student. I thought that
would do it, but when I tried to navigate to the file that the error
message said I needed, it said that it was (I think the phrase was)
invalid location. There were two possible folders that might have been
correct and in both I got the same error message.

However, the good news is that in searching through old papers I
found my invoice for the purchase: I paid for a "license box" and
although I am not sure how, it appears I have the right to download again.

I assume that my preferences and personal settings will not be
overwritten, but am not sure.

David

djprius wrote:
Graham,

It's a big file It is not the large .exe file that you point to,
but the extracted files that you have copied from the temporary folder
to a permanent location.

I did run the .exe file and it did extract them -- and I did move the
temp files to a new location on the hard drive.

I had assumed that all the versions were similar but that it was the
key which determined the level of functionality. It appears that may
have been misguided. If the above does not address it, by all means
try downloading the HomeStudent trial -
http://us20.trymicrosoftoffice.com/default.aspx
You have a legitimate key (if you have lost it you can extract it from
Windows using Belarc Advisor -
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html). In a worst case, you can
always reinstall from the downloaded file and apply your key to that.
Your personalisations should not be affected.

I'll do this in a few days. I'm tied up this weekend.

Thanks, Graham, for all the support.

David