Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Derrick Smith Derrick Smith is offline

Default Word 2003 was unable to open the data source file has no extension

Hello,
Our custom access database creates a merge file called "doc merge data" on
users' pcs. This file has no extension.
With Word 2000 or below the merge opens with a full merge toolbar.

With Word 2003 it greys the toolbar out, and using the merge wizard the file
returns "Word was unable to open the data source."
I have ticked the confirm conversion at open option as suggested. If I
rename the file so it has a .txt extension all works. I've read previous
forum posts and all involve an extension on the file.

Other than re-writing the access database, there must be another difference
between Word versions if the file is okay in previous...
Any ideas?
Many thanks