Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Unusual Page Number Sequence in the Middle of Document

Word does have a separate graphics layer, but it isn't going to help with
this numbering problem. For that you need section breaks - the first at the
end of Page 12. Unlink the header/footer.

In the first section you would use a numeric page number field, starting at
1

On page 13, the first page of section 2 you would type 12- then insert a
page number field using the format ABC and start the numbering from A.

When you want to go back to the original number sequence, insert another
section break. Insert a Page number field with numeric digits and restart
the numbering from 13.

nick.demarco wrote:
Thanks for looking at it, Stefan. I was hoping for a miracle, like
the graphics layer in Excel, or something similar.

Wouldn't that be a neat idea? - a graphics layer that you could
activate atop the Word document itself? Then text boxes, graphics,
etc. could be placed independently of the text body.

Nick

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

As far as I can tell, what you are asking for can not be done in
Word, except by manually enter the page numbers; you probably won't
find it worth the effort.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"nick.demarco" wrote in
message ...
I have a multipage document, and part-way through, I wish to number
pages in
the header or footer in an unusual manner, e.g. 11, 12, 12-A, 12-B,
13 etc.
I'm using Word 2003 and experimented with page and section breaks,
but I cannot seem to beat this. I checked the entries here, and
didn't see this question (but may have missed it). Any ideas?
(Thank you all for your time
and dedication.)