Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Typeaux Typeaux is offline

Default Table Titles -- How to repeat with "(continued)"?

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

There is a "simple" (Depending on how familiar you are with Word...)
subfertuge you can use...

You will beg my pardon, but this has to rank among the Top Ten "Most
Inelegant Solutions" of all time. Apparently someone at Microsoft (all kneel)
has overlooked the fact that a gigantic number of documents undergo a
succession of revisions, often long after the original author has moved, left
the company or (alas) has died.

Therefore, this kind of klugey (read: Mickey Mouse) fix, however ingenious
(and sincerely, thank you for the post and the obvious effort to propose a
solution) and well intended, has all the earmarks of being purely diabolical
in nature in the event that a subsequent (and hapless) editor must go in and
change the tables at some future date. I can well imagine this individual
being me, and were I not by experience and training steeled against the
clever machinations of previous authors on many documents, might resort to
brief flashes of considering suicide.

I have used Word for many years, but generally for simpler documents. Some
companies still use it for creating entire books -- an endeavor generally
thought to be beyond its breeding by those who actually care about such
things.

While FrameMaker may have its own evil quirks, I find myself missing it
daily at this company. Ah well. It is an imperfect world, so best "to set
one's features into the expression of quiet optimism which it was advisable
to wear when facing the telescreen." [George Orwell, "1984"]

Thank you again for your efforts, nonetheless. I may well have need to make
use of your solution in another time and place. It is, I fear, unsuitable for
my current project do to its progressively-authored nature.

-- Typeaux