bilisa

Maybe I can open my file (during mailmerge) and save it with the proper
encoding.. Something like this:

Documents.Open FileName:=filnavn, _
Encoding:="Unicode"
Documents.Save
Documents.Close

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

If you use Unicode I don't think the ODBC approach will work properly, BTW.
But I'm not completely sure.

Peter Jamieson

"bilisa" wrote in message
I changed the encoding from ANSI to Unicode which solved the problem. So
now
I have located the problem. Next how to sove it with vba when doing a
mailmerge. Alternatively I can export my files using unicode encoding, but
dont know if its possible..

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

That would not surprise me if the encoding was different (e.g. one is
encoded using Unicode and the other using Windows/ANSI). You can test
some
of that by opening the file in Notepad and saving it using the different
encodings Notepad supports - or you can open in Word and save as encoded
text.

Peter Jamieson

"bilisa" wrote in message
The strange thing sbout it is that I have two .csv data files both
containing
ø,æ,å etc. and have the same structure, but they behave differently
when
merged with the same document!?!?!

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Sorry, my mistake. I still think it can be done, but right now I can
only
check with Word 2003, which sometimes behaves in a slightly different
way.
Apologies in advance if neither of these suggestions work:

ActiveDocument.MailMerge.OpenDataSource
Name:="", _
Connection:="DSN=Delimited Text
Files;DBQ=C:\;DriverId=27;FIL=text;MaxBufferSize=2 048;PageTimeout=5;",
_
SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM " & filnavn, _
SubType:=wdMergeSubTypeOther

or perhaps just

ActiveDocument.MailMerge.OpenDataSource
Name:="", _
Connection:="DSN=Delimited Text
Files;DBQ=C:\;DriverId=27;FIL=text;MaxBufferSize=2 048;PageTimeout=5;",
_
SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM " & filnavn

It is certainly a conversion problem, but
a. if you try to open the file as a "text file" (you can see a bit
more
of
what is going on if you check Word Tools|Options|General|Confirm
conversion
at open before opening the file manually) you will probably see the
oriental
characters or a dialog asking about the character set
b. if you try to use OLEDB, usually you see a dialog asking for the
text
(field) delimiter, and you may also see a character encoding dialog

Peter Jamieson

"bilisa" wrote in message
news I followed your instructions, but I still have the same problem. It
seems
me that this is some sort of conversion problem. Any ideas?

"bilisa" wrote:

This may sound as a stupid question: What is Text Driver DSN on
system?

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

I suggest you try the following instead, but use the pathname of
the
folder
containing your text file instead of "c:\myfiles", and if
necessary,
change
the name of the ODBC DSN in the connection parameter to match the
name
of a
Text Driver DSN on your system.

.OpenDataSource _
Name:=filnavn, _
Connection:="DSN=Delimited Text
Files;DBQ=c:\myfiles;DriverId=27;FIL=text;MaxBuffe rSize=2048;PageTimeout=5;",
_
SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM " & filnavn

Peter Jamieson

"bilisa" wrote in message
Hi

Im having problems when I merge my document / template with a
.csv
data
source. My data source is already attached to the template via
some
vba
script. I have some translation problems when the data posts
contain
danish
letters as Ø,ø,æ,Æ,å, Å. Some times they disappear and
sometimes
they
turn
into asian symbols in the merged letter. They open correctly in
Excel
but
are
not displayed correctly in the merged letter.

This is my code:

Dim myheader As String

filnavn = "C:\FLETFIL.CSV"

With ActiveDocument.MailMerge

.MainDocumentType = wdFormLetters

.OpenDataSource _
Name:=filnavn, _
Connection:="Entire Spreadsheet", _
SubType:=wdMergeSubTypeWord2000

' Do it
.Destination = wdSendToNewDocument
.Execute
End With

What is wrong with it? Any help is appreciated.

Yours sincerely