Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Why is the Index function not grouping results?

All I can say is that I experienced a similar effect with an index some
years back (in Word 97 IIRC). The book was a history and genealogy of the
Link family, and it was especially perverse that the index decided to stop
grouping Links (and I wondered if the name itself was part of the issue).
With the advice of MVP John McGhie, I tried *everything* (as you have) with
no result. It's possible there was some corruption in the document; I don't
know (if you have Word 2003, you might see if Open and Repair helps at all).
In the end I just threw in the towel and waited till editing was complete,
then unlinked the index and tweaked it manually (which helped with some
other formatting issues as well). Good luck!

"Brian" wrote in message
I'm using a rather complicated index and all of the sudden, it has stopped
grouping one of my entries. Instead of listing "Apples and

Oranges......1,
3, 55, 767" it instead lists "Apples and Oranges......1" "Apples and
Oranges..... 3" "Apples and Oranges......55" "Apples and Oranges....767."

So instead of a neat, concise index, I have, for this one entry, a repeat
listing several times. I tried cutting all the XE Index text out and

pasting
them back in from one source (in case there was some subtle different,

like
if I had misspelled it many times and somehow was totally blind to it) but

no
luck. I've tried updating the field as well. Next I'll try deleting them
all, then remarking them with the Index function.

Any ideas on why it is doing this all of the sudden? It worked normally

for
months.