Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Default Why is the Index function not grouping results?

Hi Suzanne / Brian

This has happened to me, more than once. Always when working with templates
supplied by a particular publisher. Sometimes, it turned out to be a slightly
different typing (extra spaces in the XE field that you don't see in the
index, capitalization). Other times I guess it can only have been some kind of
damage in the document. Once or twice, copy/paste without the last index mark
and recreating the index helped.

All I can say is that I experienced a similar effect with an index some
years back (in Word 97 IIRC). The book was a history and genealogy of the
Link family, and it was especially perverse that the index decided to stop
grouping Links (and I wondered if the name itself was part of the issue).
With the advice of MVP John McGhie, I tried *everything* (as you have) with
no result. It's possible there was some corruption in the document; I don't
know (if you have Word 2003, you might see if Open and Repair helps at all).
In the end I just threw in the towel and waited till editing was complete,
then unlinked the index and tweaked it manually (which helped with some
other formatting issues as well). Good luck!

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org