Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Yourcareercoach Yourcareercoach is offline

Default Can't get Word 2003 to keep data file with mail merge main documen

I use Word 2002, but I often send mail merge mail documents, and their
supporting Word data file, to my clients. If they are using Word 2002, when
they open the mail merge main document, Word 2002 or earlier, automatically
finds the correct data file every time.

However, when I send my mail merge mail document and its associated word
data file to clients using Word 2003, they run into the following difficulty.
When they open the mail merge mail document, Word 2003 claims it cannot find
the associated Word data file. Of course, they can navigate to the Word data
file and then the mail merge process runs smoothly...until they close the
mail merge main document. Each time they reopen the mail merge main document,
Word 2003 forces them to rematch the appropriate word data file.

How to I help my clients using Word 2003 keep the Word data file permanently
associated with the mail merge main document?