Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Inserting fields or document properties 2007

It sounds to me as if you could have created these fields by doing a
drag-and-drop in the .dotm, in which case they would update (in some
circumstances) in the .dotm, but would still be linked to the .dotm when
Word created a document based on that template.

Can you open the template itself and use Alt-F9 to see if the same or
similar { LINK } fields are in that?

Perhaps there is something else going on, but document properties
inserted into a .dotm here in the normal way behave just the way Stefan
described.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

OrderedChaos wrote:
Thank you - yes I have already done this for the document properties but the
second lot of referneced infomation are fields not replicated document
properties. How do I get these to update to the new document based on the
template (currently there are still link to the template file and hence not
updating).

Sorry this is a little hard to explain. But when I show the field it is
referencing the template

{LINK WORD.DOCUMENT.12
"\\\\ORANGE\\COMMON\\GEOLYSE\\TEMPLATE_ADMIN\\REPO RT.DOTM" "OLE_LINK3" \A \T}

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

When you insert the Title document property it displays the contents of the
Title field in the Document Properties pane (Office button | Prepare |
Properties). The behavior for Subject is the same.

To edit the contents of a document property field, just type into it (or
change the corresponding entry in the Document Properties pane).

Note that the document properties that you inserted are content controls,
which means that you can set their properties via the Developer tab on the
ribbon. For example, you can specify that a certain control cannot be
deleted or
you can choose a style to for it.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"OrderedChaos" wrote in message
I have inserted some document properties (title and subject) into a
template
(dotm) however when I open a new document based on the template the fields
do
not update as they are still attached to the template file not the new
document. I have inserted the fields through insert quick parts, field,
docproperty, title. I would rather do this than insert the document
property
again (insert, quick parts, document proerties, title) as it shows up as a
highlighted field and easy to replace if they wont something else (i.e.
not
linked).

However I did insert the document properties this way as a trial and in
the
new document based on the template the document properties box (insert,
quick
parts, document proerties, title) is not retaining the style. It retains
everything except the font - which reverts back to Times New Roman.

Any help/tips would be appreciated. Thanks