Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dawn Crosier, MVP Dawn Crosier, MVP is offline

Default Word will not update Table of Contents

Try turning off Tracked Changes, and deleting the TOC and then Reinsert the
TOC again with Tracked Changes still turned off and see if it will create
and update now. (The message about replacing the TOC is because there was a
"Tracked as Deleted" TOC in your document.)

If it will create and update to at least the point of showing the headings
and other entries that you had before, then check to make sure that the
pages you inserted were formatted as Heading Styles.

For the Heading that is showing up twice. Check to see whether it is marked
two times, for instance whether it has a TC entry, and is a Heading Style,
or is marked with a TC entry and has Paragraph Formatting to indicate that
it is a Level 1.

Good Luck.
--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"news" wrote in message
Using Word 2003 (11.8026.8028) SP2 under XP Pro SP2.

I am editing someone else's document. On the surface it seems to be
straightforward in every way -- just a 30-page report including some
Heading 1 and Heading 2 lines. Tracking is enabled.

When I started editing, I deleted about 10 consecutive pages, then updated
the ToC. No problems. I did some other minor editing, and the ToC still
updated OK.

Then I copy/pasted about 10 new pages from another document (being careful
not to copy the final paragraph mark), and tried to update the ToC. It
wouldn't update.

I removed the ToC, and tried to insert a new one. Word asked me if I
wanted to *update* the ToC. Why would it do that, as I had deleted it?

Now, whatever I try, I just can't update the ToC.

A further strange thing: the first entry in the ToC is now duplicated (but
the associated Heading 1 line only appears once).

I've tried updating with Tracking disabled.

I've closed Word and restarted it.

Still no success.

Ideas anyone?

--