lostinspace

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cosber"
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 1:11 AM
Subject: Relative hyperlinks change to absolute when saving in Word 200

I appreciate the help, but I don't know if I'm getting my question across
so
I'll try it one more time: With the previous version, working either from
the
C drive, or even my zip drive which was on E:, I would create a hyperlink
in
one document to another document in my manual. I created probably dozens
of
hyperlinks from page to page. When I would move the entire folder, or even
just a single document to ANY place-another drive, another folder, another
computer, the links would change accordingly-I believe the term for these
links is "relative'. Since changing to XP and Office 2003, they don't
change
when they are moved. They stay pointed to wherever I worked on the file.

Is there a setting someplace that will stop this from happening?

Cosber,
Once you have made the conversion from Word-Docs to html?
Html pages are straight text files with an html file extension.
These may be edited with any text editor. There are utility text editors
designed spefically for dealing with html pages and search and replace of
single or multiple lines either in a single folder or across multiple
folders.

One that I use is "Search and Replace 98" which is free:
http://www.htmlworkshop.com/srhtml98.html

I don't have 2003.
In 2000:

Tools / Options / General / Web Options / Files / Update Links on Save,
untick.
While your here, also a good idea to untick, " Organize supportingfiles in a
folder."

If your main goal is html pages, you will save your self plenty of time and
effort by making the conversion to an appropiate software rather than
wasting your time attempting to make Word do something it was not designed
for.