Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Default losing reference info

Hi ?B?TGFycnkgVm95ZXI=?=,

This is disturbing news. When I send the document to someone else, the
implication is that they will not be able to modify the document since their
normal.dot file is probably different.

I had tried this earlier by saving normal.dot to normal2.dot and then
opening the document, after a power cycle, and importing the normal2.dot.
Didn't work! Maybe I did something wrong. I'll have to try it again.

No, that won't work. If you rename Normal2.dot back to Normal.dot and start
Word, the caption labels should come back. As for distributing the document for
editing, you have two basic choices:

1. Give the user instructions on how to create the Caption Labels (it's not
difficult, as you know, just a PITA)

2. Distribute a macro in the document, either one that runs when it's opened,
or one the user can execute from a toolbar you also include. The macro can
create the Caption Labels (they'll be in the user's Normal.dot) "painlessly".

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)