Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Default Advance problem w/Mail Merge

Hi Tricia,

You can't use the same syntax for this in Word as you'd use in Excel. For starters, Table cell references in Word can only be used
to retrieve numbers - not text. Presumably, too, the value in Q3 is coming from a mailmerge field.

Consequently, in Word, you should bookmark the text (not the whole cell) in V2, U2 and W2 and, to replicate the text there, use a
series of fields coded as:
{IF{MERGEFIELD Hospital_ID}= 1 {REF V2BkMk}}
{IF{MERGEFIELD Hospital_ID}= 2 {REF U2BkMk}}
{IF{MERGEFIELD Hospital_ID}= 3 {REF W2BkMk}}
where 'Hospital_ID' is the name of the data field from which the 1, 2 & 3 are sourced and V2BkMk, U2BkMk & W2BkMk are the bookmark
named assigned to the relevant text strings. The fields can all be on the one line - I've put them on separate lines for
readability.

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste
them from this message.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Tricia" wrote in message ...
That is exactly what is happening. I created a mail merge for a co-worker
who has to send out confirmation information to several people after she gets
them scheduled for a procedure with all of their information. One of the
paragraph changes depending on the hospital they are having the procedure
performed at. So what I did is create a =IF(Q3=1,V$2,IF(Q3=2,U$2,
IF(Q3=3,W$2))) each of the columns have text in them. Any clue as to how to
get the text to show instead of "False"?

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Do you mean that you have a column in your Excel sheet that is populated
using an =IF formula?

If so, my best guess is that the OLE DB provider that Word uses to get
data from Excel has decided that the data type of the column containing
your =IF formulas is "text", in which case I think all the results may
be provided to Word as "false". (see http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0003.htm
for more info. about this). I am not sure how to check that, but maybe
you could have a look around.

If not, can you spell out what you are doing.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk
Visit Londinium at http://www.ralphwatson.tv

Tricia wrote:
I have an excel database I'm pulling my information from into a Word 2007
document. One of the fields I am pulling from is a "IF" field. Every time I
merge my document it will not pull the correct information. It always pulls
"FALSE" instead of the value that is in the field.