See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm. Note that
in order to have *no* numbering, you need to unlink the appropriate
header/footer between sections (this is not necessary just to change number
format).

"A. L." A. wrote in message
I am using Microsoft Office 2003. I have a document 144 pages long. In

Word
I need to number only the main pages, not the pages where Title, forewords
and index belong.

I use a break and the documents becomes a two sections. So when I try to
insert page numbers only to the second section, numbers appear on both.

How can I do it?