Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Default Problem with styles (Word 2003)

I think it's the option "Tools Options Edit Prompt to update
style".

"Eric" wrote:
I don't understand how this is applicable.

You wouldn't get the dialog any more... which seemed to be what you're
after.

In the case I'm describing, I've already applied the style to the
paragraph.
When I apply the style again, Word asks me if I want to update the style
reflect the selection. But Word only asks this question if the selection
*differs* from the style. But how can that be, if I have just reapplied
the
style? I'm trying to figure out why Word thinks the paragraph is different
from the style after I've reapplied the style.

I see your point.
Sure, Word should in principle be able to tell that the paragraph already
matches the style, and do nothing.

OTOH, many of the issues I have with Word result from the program trying to
be too clever by half.

The dialog is so annoying that most users will either decide to always
reapply the style (using the option I mentioned) or to always update the
style to match the selection. Only those that can't decide on either are
stuck with the behaviour that annoys you.

Klaus