Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Print layout view - align doc to left

I thought I had dragged it pretty far. But since the double-click seems to
work, that's a lot more dependable.

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
The 'trick' is to keep moving it to the right ridiculously too far as
though trying to force it off screen completely. It seems a bit OTT to
have to force it so far just to get it to 'snap' into the docked position.

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
It took some experimentation, but I inadvertently did get this to work. I
hadn't realized you could resize this pane (and I don't know whether that
affected the result or not), but resizing it and "slamming" it against
the
side didn't seem to help. I kept dragging it into various spots near the
top
right corner and at some point, in desperation, double-clicked, and that
did
the trick.

Unfortunately, now I can't figure out how to make it smaller again! Even
if
I close it, the next time I open it, it's a big pane again--not a bad
thing,
I guess, but not what I expected. Ah, wait, if I move the Move arrow to
the
top left corner of the pane I can make it revert.

So, bottom line: Double-click in the top left corner to dock it. Drag the
top left corner to make it float.

The arrow on the title bar, by the way, doesn't lead to other task panes
as in Word 2003 but to a rather unnecessary menu of Move, Size, Close.

"Jon" wrote in message
not for me it doesn't. there is no movment of the document page. what I
am
doing is clicking the little box to the bottom right of styles on the
home
ribbon. the style window opens but overlays the open document and there
is
no way I can get the document to move to the left so that the free space
on the right is large enough to accomodate the styles window at a size i
would like. there is space to the left of the document but it seems
wasted
as I can't move the doc over to the left.

Am i missing something?

Jon

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
If you dock the Styles Pane to the right side of the window, the
document
page should automatically 'offset' to the new central position (i.e. it
gets out of the way). Docking will still let you toggle the pane on/off
as required.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Jon" wrote in message
is it possible to have the page towards the left of the screen rather
than centred? I like to keep by styles window to the right an space is
limited with a cente aligned page unless i shrink the doc below 100%
and
the text then gets a little small.

Thanks

Jon