Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default How do I get compatibility mode when opening .doc files in Wor

Send one of the documents that you cannot open to the link on the home page
of my web site.

cheryl wrote:
Thanks for the response. I am able to open the same docs in Word 2002
without any problem. So the docs are not corrupt. I am still stuck....

The compatibility mode is an integral part of the application
related to the file converter installed to maintain backward
compatibility with Word document format. Problem is, that if Word
does not recognize the format it will pop up a box asking you to
confirm. What happens if you merely select the default setting
offered to you (regardless of what you see in the display window)?
If you get garbage, the indications are that the document is corrupt
or not a Word document.

cheryl wrote:
I just installed word 2007. I cannot open .doc in word 2007. When I
open from the file menu, compatibility mode does not turn on. I get
a pop up box titlled file conversion - file name. I have three
radio button options: windows defualt or MS-Dos or other encoding.
Have I missed something?? I hope there is a simple answer.