My printer and documents behave this way by default, but whether you can
replicate the situation depends on the type of printer you have and what
settings it offers (and whether this is a personal or network printer). I
have an HP LaserJet with the MP tray (Tray 1, the one that pulls out of the
front for manual feet and odd sizes) set to First, which means that the
printer looks there first for paper. If there is nothing in the tray, it
then prints from the bottom tray (Tray 2, the 500-sheet paper drawer). In
Word, almost all my documents have the paper tray for all pages set to
"Default tray (Auto Select).

"monsieurms" wrote in message
Hi. I frequently switch paper modes rather than have trays stacked with

paper
in a variety of bins. So for instance I'll print/change to upper tray, and
use letterhead. The rest of the time I want to print from the built-in

auto
tray---plain copy paper. But I always forget to switch back.

Is there some way to make a particular tray the DEFAULT so that a change
made in a particular document is either only for that document or only for
that session? So that next time it defaults back to my auto tray?