Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QW5keUJlYXI=?=,

c) Even when the source text doesn't contain a bookmark, the process of
creating the link adds one to the source document (which is OK obviously) and
this too is copied as a bookmark entry into the target document (which isn't,
IMHO).

OK, now I see what you're talking about. It's the OLE_Link bookmarks, right?

Yes, displaying these in the target document is new behavior, and I suspect the
reason for it is so that you KNOW there's a link to an outside file. Part of the
new Security measures MS implemented in Word 2003...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)