Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default pre release version of the compatability pack error: Bob Buckland

Did you uninstall the compatibility pack before trying to replace it?
Did you download this one also?
Did you read the note: Users of the Microsoft Office XP and 2003 programs
Word, Excel, or PowerPoint-please install all High-Priority updates from
Microsoft Update before downloading the Compatibility Pack.

Gary C wrote:
to: Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

I think you may have the best response for me, after reviewing several
search results: I am trying to open DOCX files, using WORD 2002,
part of the Office that was installed on my computer in March of
2008. According to everything I have selected the version is valid
and registered.

OS: XP PRO

All updates and downloads are current (SP3 installed), both XP and
OFFICE.

I receive the following error message:

This is a pre release version of the compatability pack and can open
pre release Office 2007 files only. Do you want to check for a newer
version of the compatability pack?

When I click yes I am directed to the same page and when downloaded
and installed the same error happens over and over.

Now for the interesting part; I installed the compatability pack
about 3 months ago, when I recieved a DOCX file. I was able to open
a DOCX file with no problem. I recieved, via email (trusted source)
another DOCX file and when I attempted to open it I was given the
message for the compatability pack. FYI: I can no longer open the
first DOCX file now.

I have inserted the OFFICE XP PRO CD and tried to repair etc. to no
avail.

I also have an older laptop (Sony Vaio) with same OS and OFFICE setup
(pre installed). I have the compatability pack loaded on it and have
no problems.

I have had no problems with viruses ( use McAfee) consistently and
doing other various system checks the sytem is clean.

I truly hope you have answer for this one.

Thanks