Timothy L

Default odt documents in Word

"Obviously your asking your users to switch to a better Office Suite (better only because it supports all file
formats)."

My users of what? Those users are using Microsoft's software, not mine.

To put it simply:
I'm NOT a Microsoft employee and I DON'T develop software.

I'm only mentioning one such piece of software that I use to open and convert files in the OpenDocument
format. If the user who is reading the post decides to switch, well, that is up to them. And OpenOffice.org
does NOT "support all file formats" as they do NOT (currently) support Microsoft Works, Corel's Quattro Pro
(spreadsheet), Corel's Presentations, or AppleWorks/ClarisWorks file formats. Besides, there are many other
office productivity suites out there that even I have never heard of.

A third party (i.e. NOT Microsoft) is in the process of developing a plug-in (add-in) called "OpenOpenOffice"
(or O3 for short) that will allow users of Microsoft Office to open files in the OpenDocument format.

This article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument#Microsoft
says:
"On Sep. 25, 2005, Alan Joch of Federal Computer Week reported that Microsoft has changed its stance and that
its next Office release will support OpenDocument, though not natively. This "means users would have to select
that format option every time they save a file." (Joch, 2005) As of this time this report has not been
independently confirmed, however, and other reports suggest this is still merely being considered."

If you want to ask Microsoft when and if they are going to support the OpenDocument format, then you should
call them.

--
Please post all replies to the newsgroup for the benefit of others.
Requests for assistance by email will NOT be acknowledged!

"Ryan" wrote in message
Why can't we just get native MSoffice support for the Open Document files,
rather than making users download OpenOffice.org? Obviously your asking your