Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QVN3YWRlbmVy?=,

When they receive my attachment, if
they automatically go into Reading Layout, I don't want them to

have
regenerate the TOC after changing their view from within that

now-open
attachment.

Are other users also opening the TOC in Word 2003, or an earlier
version? As I mentioned, I haven't been able to duplicate the problem
you describe (page numbers resetting to 1). I seem to recall there
being a problem, in one version of Word, where all page numbers would
display as 1...

Hmm, as best I can remember, it had something to do with graphics
objects being anchored in the document header. Or maybe it was having
a table in the document header. Does the document you're seeing this
with have something in the header? If yes, create a copy and delete
everything in the header, then test whether you still see the same
behavior with the TOC?

don't really understand why MS ever came
up with Reading Layout anyway. It always shows things pretty much
peculiarly.

Reading Layout was created in order to read/scan reams of text.
Apparently, in corporate environments, people write reports, memos,
etc. in Word, then mail them out as attachments. Reading a document
on-screen, in a standard Word window isn't particularly efficient
(too wide and/or text is too small). The Reading Layout puts the text
on the screen in a manageable width and (with any luck) readable
size. Plus, you can set it up to display two pages by default.

Personally, I like it a lot when I have to read a lot.

Have you tried deactivating "Allow starting in Reading Layout" in
Tools/Options/General?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)