Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Master Document: Separate Style Formatting in Subdocumnets

In a situation like this, a better approach would be to create a PDF from
each document and combine them in Acrobat (or other PDF-creation softwhere).
Or use graphics instead: using SnagIt (www.techsmith.com), you can "print"
each appendix to the SnagIt printer, which will capture each page as a
picture, which you can save in any desired graphic format; then insert one
picture per page (with appropriate wrapping to allow it to fill the page) to
create your appendix.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
My book reading says that when you incorporate a subdocument into a
master document that the style formatting gets overridden when you
view the subdocument in the master document.

I would like to know if it is possible to have each subdocument
preserve its own style formatting outside the header/footer?

Why would you do this and create inconsistent formatting?

Glad you asked. The reason is I need to incorporate documents as
appendices that need to be formatted as they originally were done. The
inconsistency is not an issue --but rather a benefit as it shows they
did come from a different source. However, I would like to be able to
page number them (footer) consistently with the master document.

So if Document 1 defines NORMAL as using Times New Roman and Document
2 defines NORMAL as using WIngdings, I would like them to show up as
that in the master document.