GW67

Default Unexpected Style Update when "Automatically Updates" is Turned Off

Word 2003 is changing the Normal style unexpectedly, even when I have the
"Automatically Update" option turned off in the "Styles and Formatting"
dialog for the Normal style.

What is happening is I have numerous paragraphs that are of the Normal
Style. I want to add a bullet to one paragraph and when I do, the entire
document (for what I am doing, the Normal style is the only style used) gets
bullets. Then, when I un-bullet that line, the bullet on that line only is
removed and the name of the style for that line becomes "Normal + Left: 0,
First line: 0" whereas the rest of the bulletted lines stay as the Normal
style.

What can I do to prevent this?

Thanks.