Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Trying to keep footer anchored on first page only

Here's one way (but not the best way): After you insert the section break,
open the footer area in the second section. On the Header/Footer toolbar,
click the Same As Previous button to turn it off. Then you can delete the
footer of the second section without affecting the first section.

Here's the better way:
- Get rid of the section break; you don't need it.
- Select the text of the footer and cut it to the clipboard. The footer
should be empty now.
- Go to File Page Setup Layout and check the box for "Different first
page". Click OK.
- Open the footer on the first page, which will say "First Page Footer".
Paste in the text from the clipboard.

For more advice, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Phildunc wrote:
I've created a letthead template that has a footer at the bottom.
I'm using Word 2003 and the footer is not staying anchored to the
first page only. For example, I cut and pasted a 5 page letter and
the footer goes all the way to the last page. I have put a section
break to start on next page (to show no footer) but that isn't
working. If I remove the footer on the additional page it erases my
footer on the first page.

I'm still trying to master this program as I come from a WordPerfect
world. TIA!