Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PeterHS PeterHS is offline

Default Templates - Make Change to Normal.dotm

Sorry i think i didn't make totaly clear where i'm looking for.

When i double click a file (word document) word will open and the document
is on my screen. ad the same time normal.dotm is opend and styles settings
and so on are applied. Is it possible to start a file by double clicking and
get te settings not from normal.dotm, but by example from qqq.dotm. I want to
try if its possible te let this work with the file qqq.dotm as read only
(wich is not possible with normal.dotm).

And why do i want to try this?

We are using Word 2007 and we want that all users use the same (standard)
normal.dotm/qqq.dotm (standard looks and easy making changes like new
macro's and so on).

I set the same template folder for all users and they all use the same
Normal.dotm, but when someone accidently make a change (or the dymo
labelwriter makes it every time), when leaving Word he is prompted to save
normal.dotm which I don't want him to do and is also not possible, while
other users are using te same file (this gives many unwanted messages). Also
when the user is the only user, he changes te standard.

I tried making normal.dotm read only but this doesn't work (error messages).

I hope you can sort me out

Peter

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you put a shortcut to the template on your desktop, then you can start
Word with a new document based on that template by double-clicking on that
shortcut. But the New button in Word will still create a new document based
on Normal.dotm.

"PeterHS" wrote in message
Can you please tel me what you found and does it work when a start Word by
double click a document. I found how to do it with startup options, but
not
for starting from a document.

many thenks

Peter

"C and A Bredt" wrote:

OOPS Found it in Help - it wasn't clear in my book. Sorry
CB
"C and A Bredt" wrote in message
I want to have a different template that Word uses when it starts. Not
the
current Normal.dotm.

I have created the template. How do I save it as the default that Word
will use?

Thanks, CB