JD

Well, I know that I've never created a "macro." I have no idea how to even
do so. I did, however, create a special keystroke combination. Might I
assume, then, that this is the reason that I find a macro in my Word
documents--"published" by Microsoft?
Also, what can you tell me about the "expiration date" on installed macros?
Jim
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Whenever you save any customization (macros, AutoText, keyboard shortcuts,
toolbars), you are given a choice of where to save it. Normal.dot is the
default, and so most customizations are saved there because users rarely
choose to save them anywhere else. But you can save any of these
customizations in a specific document template or another global template,
and you can save some things in (macros, keyboard shortcuts, and toolbars,
but not AutoText) in documents as well. It just depends on what you have
selected under "Save in" when you create a macro or other customization.
"JD" wrote in message
How very interesting. I guess the moral of the story is that I should go
ahead and "accept" macros offered from "trusted publishers," most
certainly from Microsoft.
Upon reflection, I have to admit that I really don't know how a keyboard
shortcut would be "saved in a document." Is this something like
"embedding fonts," which applies only to one document and not to all the
others on my hard drive?
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
FWIW, I found that a keyboard shortcut saved in a document will be
tagged as a "macro," and you'll get the warning dialog for it.
Suzanne S. Barnhill
"JD" wrote in message
Thanks Jay. I'm still wondering why I am offered the choice of
"enabling" a macro published by Microsoft in a document that I created
a long time ago and that has never been off of this computer. I think
of macros as bits of code written to make Word do things that it
doesn't normally do. Is that correct? If so, I don't know why I would
want or need any macros to run in any of my Word documents. I'm not on
a network, though I do occasionally send them to friends and
relatives.
The fact the the document which prompted this post was found to
contain two macros published by Gateway (my computer brand) makes me
wonder why they were there. And also, since I "removed" them, have I
crippled my computer in some way?
Also, if I may further impose, what is the significance of the
"expiration date" on these macros? All that I have seen are "expired"
in 2003!
And finally, does the acceptance or rejection of macros apply on a per
document basis? That is to say that if I refuse a macro, will that
apply only to the document currently open or to all of my documents,
present and future? I guess I'm leery about making a decision that I
barely understand and that might be irreversible.
Thanks for you help. It is greatly appreciated.
"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Hi JD,
It's always "safe" to refuse to accept any macros. The tradeoff is
that you will lose any functionality provided by macros that really
are safe to run.
In my opinion, the extreme paranoia about macro viruses expressed by
the Help is unwarranted. The expletive deleted lowlifes who
delight in others' misery seem to have discovered that hacking
Internet Explorer is easier or more satisfying than messing with
Office macros. Running antivirus software that looks for virus
signatures is less intrusive than summarily disabling all macros. If
the idea of the faint possibility of a macro virus bothers you,
though, feel free to block macros.
There are a few things you can accomplish in Word only by using a
macro. These are rare, and if you find that you need them you can
enable them each time. You may run into trouble with third-party
software that tries to integrate with Office by supplying macros in
global templates. By disabling their macros, you lose that
integration. You may see toolbar buttons that don't do anything when
clicked, etc.
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 06:05:15 -0700, "JD"
wrote:

I'm confused about this issue. I read the following in Word Help:
Security Because macros can contain viruses, be careful about

running
them.
Take the following precautions: run up-to-date antivirus software on
your
computer; set your macro security level to high; clear the Trust all
installed add-ins and templates check box; use digital signatures;
maintain
a list of trusted publishers.

It also instructed me how to "remove" a macro publisher from the
Trusted
list.

So I cleared the indicated checkbox and deleted two "trusted
publishers,"
(both Gateway and both "expired"). Then when I opened an old
document

got
a pop-up asking if I wanted to enable or disable a macro that this
document
"contained." It suggested that if I "disabled," I might have trouble
with
the document. So I clicke "enable." The "publisher" in this case was
Microsoft--though the permission installed showed that it "expired"

in
November, 2003!

My question is, since I know nothing of macros and have no interest

in
using
them, is it safe for me to refuse to accept any?