Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
harryedwards

Default Word 2002 cannot find its Excel data source for mail merge

Having recently got my computer back after a crash - and with no change in
the software being used - my mail merge documents have problems.

Now, when opening the document, I get a box saying: '[Word doc name] is a
mail merge main document. Word cannot find its data source, [Excel file
name].' Both Word and Excel file are in exactly the same place as they were
before. I use the 'Find Data Source' option to try and connect to the Excel
file again, but the box I get offers me options like '+ New SQL Server
Connection' rather than simply the file itself as before. I can browse to the
file from here and select it, but then I have to select a sheet from it -
something that has never happened before - and once I've done that the data
source is connected. However, this now means that I have to use US dates
rather than UK as query options, any zero value is now 12.00AM, and the
merged document won't include things like £ signs which appeared in the Excel
sheet. In short, it messes everything up. Oh, and even if I now save the
document with the newly connected data source, it won't be connected next
time I open it and I'll have to go through it all again.

As you may have worked out, all I want is for everything to be like it was
before! Why has it changed and what can I do about it?

Thanks in advance.