Steve Emerson

Appreciate the reply. I think the answer is B. There's a
Tools/AutoCorrect dialog with its four tabs, AutoCorrect, Autoformat As
You Type, AutoText, and AutoFormat. But none of them let you disable the
AutoCorrect Options button.

FWIW, I have almost all of the various options unchecked. Nothing in
"Apply" or "Apply As You Type" is checked. In other words -- see below

In article ,
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

So what you're saying is that (a) you have no Tools | AutoCorrect Options
dialog (or anything comparable) or (b) you have the dialog but it doesn't
have a check box for disabling the AutoCorrect Options button?

FWIW, although I do occasionally enable "Set left- and first-indent with
tabs and backspaces" on the AutoFormat As You Type tab of this dialog in
WinWord, I had never experienced the AutoCorrect Options button when I tab
because I have that button disabled. In this particular instance it might
conceivably be helpful (many times I've had to change the AutoFormat setting
when I was trying to use tabs in the normal way).

(Noted. However--) --The normal way is the only way I want to use tabs.

Thx,
Steve.

"Steve Emerson" wrote in message
I am not the OP, but this thing bothers me too. (The AutoCorrect Options
lightning-bolt button.)

All I want to do is hit the tab key in some text I've already written. I
want a paragraph indent there and forgot to include.

The buttom pops up, covering parts of two lines below. Let's say I want
to read what's under there. It turns out I can, if I hit the spacebar --
anywhere. Then go back and delete the space. Then I can proceed to read
my text.

I've researched this on the MS site and evidently the button can be
turned off in Word 2003. In Word 2004 Mac, evidently not. The "Paste
Options" button can be turned off -- the companion among two buttons
discussed in "Help: About Smart Buttons." It's fairly glaring. For Paste
Options, we see this:
"To prevent this button from appearing, on the Word menu, click
Preferences, click Edit, and then clear the Show Paste Options buttons
check box."

Earlier on in this same text, we find no equivalent passage about
turning off the other (AutoCorrect Options) button.

We need to be able to turn this thing off.

The button seems possibly to become a worse problem when numbering is in
use. (BTW, numbering was a delight in Word 4 and 5; as of Word 98 and
perhaps earlier, a simple list takes much longer to number, especially
if there are lines that interrupt the numbering. I switched to Word 5
whenever I wanted to do this; but in Mac OS X, it won't run except in
Classic mode.)

Any suggestions on the Button? On simpler ways to number?

Thanks,
Steve