Daiya Mitchell

Probably because the cursor was at that exact moment somewhere that does not
allow you to insert a page number, say in a footnote or comment.

However, another way to add page numbers (and a better one if you plan to
have anything other than page numbers in the footer) is to View | Header
Footer and use the # icon on the header/footer toolbar to add the page
number.

Also, you don't "make" a footer. The footer is always there, you just put
text in it.

On 2/23/05 9:54 AM, "Chad Harris" wrote:

Word 03 on XP SP2 Box

For reasons I cannot explain, I noticed I had forgotten to insert page
number at the beginning of my document, and remembered I need to do it
before printing and making my footer. I can't because it's the only item on
the Insert menu ghosted out. How can I unghost it? Do I have to close the
document and then open it? Equally important, how did it get this way so I
can avoid this in the future.

Thanks very much,

Chad Harris

--