Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Roshan Q Roshan Q is offline

Default How to display header/footer in existing documents by default?

In Word 2003 SP2 (fully patched), how can I display the header/footer in
existing (not new) documents when I open them? Here's the situation:

I have multiple documents created in Word 2000 and unchanged since their
creation. When I open them on my old computer (running Win2K/Word2K), they
open showing the header/footer. However, when I open them on my new computer
(running WinXPSP2/Word2K3), they do not. I have found two workarounds, but
they are document-specific, not universal, so I have to do them for each
document I open:

€¢ View - Header and Footer
-- or --
€¢ Tools -- Options -- "View" tab -- "Print and Web Layout options" -- check
"White space between pages (Print view only)"

I have also read Suzanne Barnhill's document on white space
(http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm) as well as Microsoft's KB
article "Description of the "White space between pages" option in Word"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297564) -- and maybe the answers are in
there -- but I am still unable to get this to be a sticky setting for all
documents.