Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Setting--Field Shading--Always--Want Permanently Enable?

This is a user setting (not a document setting) so it should be retained.
See if deleting the Data key in the registry (see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/missingmenusetc.htm) makes it possible
for you to set the option correctly.

If everything else fails, you can place the following auto macros in
normal.dot to set the option each time a document is created or opened:

Sub AutoNew()
ActiveWindow.View.FieldShading = wdFieldShadingAlways
End Sub

Sub AutoOpen()

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"erik_gregory" wrote in message
Win XP--Word 2002.

I make extensive use of cross references and other fields in my docs, so
it
helps to actually see them as gray boxes. However, just got a new machine
and
the Show Fields setting (ToolsOptionsViewField Shading) is now
disabled. I
can turn it on but I must enable it for every document every time I open
it.
Tried modifying Normal.dot...no success.

Anyone know how to permanently enable this Show Fields? Many thanx!

Erik