Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hilary Hilary is offline

Default normal keyboard keys are doing strange things

sorry I wasn't clear. Part of it is because I am unclear what is happening,
and because the problem does not seem consistent. Let me try again...

I have a document that I have been working on in Word 2007 pulled up right
now. When I type the letter "z" into the document, the letter "z" appears
where the cursor is (as you would expect) but also, along the tool bars at
the top, a bunch of boxes with individual letters appear over each of the
tabs...an "H" over the Home tab, an "N" over the insert tab, and so on.

at other times, using the letter "p" would cause some other function to
start(can't remember now, it is acting normally at this time), and the "["
key would highlight a bunch of text.

The strangest part is that it is erratic - is it possible that the keyboard
is going bad, or am I sometimes triggering these keys to have these functions
without knowing it?

Thanks for your help...

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

It is unclear what is happening, exactly. If you want to get rid of automatic
spell checking, clear the "Check spelling as you type" option in the Word
Options dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Hilary" wrote:

everytime I type the letter z, p, or [, something strange happens. sometimes
the letter will actually type, but then some other feature (it is spell check
for the letter p) kicks in and I have to hit the escape button.

I don't know how or if I turned these features on, or how to turn them off
again.