Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

Default FYI Word 2007 users who must have menus

Irony is famously dangerous to use in e-mail and online discussions where
people do not know each other and are not seeing each other face to face,
and it often leads to misunderstandings. The writer may think that his or
her comment is obviously ironic, but it may not appear that way to others.
This is especially the case when the comment is a criticism or attack.
Friends can kid each other this way because they know they're kidding. With
strangers it's different.

To say to someone, a complete stranger, "You might want to go in to have
your obsessive-compulsive levels checked," and then add the emoticon
indicating, "See, I didn't mean it, so don't hold me accountable for what I
just said," is not nice.

I have been attacked at this forum for attacking Word 2007. But I've never
used personally insulting language about anyone, which certain people in
this forum such as Greg have been doing.

And now I suppose I'll be attacked for what I just said.

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 21:46:52 -0400, "Larry"
wrote:

This has been very lively discussion. I thank LurfysMa for bravely

taking
my side against the massed might of the MVPs, though at the last moment

she
(and I assume from the name it's a she) seems to have changed her mind,
though maybe she's being ironic, on finding out that I still use Word 97.
But if she's not being ironic but means it, that's pretty funny, given

that
she herself uses Word 2000.

Geez, Larry, maybe your detractors are right. Yes, I was kidding you
and being ironic. Did you need to ask? You might want to go in to have
your obsessive-compulsive levels checked. ;-)

BTW: We are upgrading all of our computers soon and will be installing
Office 2007. That's why your post caught my eye. I'll let you know if
I agree with your opinion of the interface. Even if I like it, I still
consider MS arrogant and dismissive of the needs of many users. It's
primary customers are corporations who buy thousands of licenses. This
NG is one way MS gets a lot of hard-working folks to work for free
answering questions about the vagaries of their products. If they paid
the MVPs even half of what they are worth, many of them could quit
their day jobs.

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000