Elbert

Thanks for the info. Strangely, I'm using the same template on two computers.
On one of them I get the most recently used styles at the top, on the other I
don't. Unhappily I have no idea how I managed to turn it off on the one, or
I'd do it on the other. I use the template enough that I kinda know where
styles are in the list, and having the extra list at the top moves them down
until they're not where I expect them, and I can't see some of them.

Elbert

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

The pane shows the most recently used styles in a short list at the top,
followed by a full list of all the styles. The styles aren't duplicated -
it's just intended to provide a quick way of applying commonly used styles.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Elbert" wrote in message
news
PMFJI, but I have the same problem. Toolsoptionseditkeep track of
formatting is not checked. Toolsautocorrectautoformat as you typedefine
styles based on your formatting is also unchecked. Yet every time I assign
style to a paragraph (eg, a heading) that style appears again at the top
of
the styles task pane.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Elbert

"Klaus Linke" wrote:

Hi Deb,

What you see is formatting, not styles. The task pane is named "Styles
and formatting", and if you have checked "Tools Options Edit Keep
track of formatting", it'll show all the manual formatting you (or some
AutoFormatting gizmo) have applied.
You can turn that off, but I'd rather try not to apply manual formatting
at all -- or remove it if it has been accidentally applied (Ctrl+Q for
manual paragraph formatting, Ctrl+Spacebar for manual font formatting).

Regards,
Klaus

"Deb" wrote:
I have a style called Body Text. Each time I apply it to something I
get
another Style called "Body Text + Indent," or "Body Text + Left: 0"
Hanging:
1.5" Befo 6 pt"

Why does this happen? The Automatically Update Styles feature is not
turned on on any of my styles.