Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Table, column and cell widths

To prevent cells from resizing, you should specify fixed column widths (in
Table | Table Properties, Column tab) but also turn off the "Automatically
resize to fit contents" option in the Table Options dialog box (Table |
Table Properties, Table tab, click the Options button). To accomplish both
of these things in a single step, you can click Table | AutoFit | Fixed
Column Width.

Setting percentage widths in Word tables is discussed in this article:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfm...ableToPage.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Mary Ann" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend some material which I can use to learn in depth about
the implications of width preferences. E.g the impact of using percent
rather than cm, how to maintain a consistent table width while being able
merge and split cells within it, the impact of the default auto-resize
etc.

I used to be fine with tables in Word 2000 but my recent foray into them
in
2003 has become a nightmare!

I would be grateful for any suggestions.