Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Default How do I get word to automatically toggle codes eg in an index

You're welcome.

"Bodkin" wrote:

thanks Dean - perfect!

"DeanH" wrote:

Sorry, the instruction were for 2003 and prior.
Try:
1. Click the Microsoft Office Button to display the Office menu.
2. Click Word Options to display the Word Options dialog box and click.

"Bodkin" wrote:

Thanks - apologies if I'm being slow but I have word 2007 and I can't see a
tools option?

"DeanH" wrote:

First place to check would be Tools, Options, View uncheck the Field Codes box.
To refresh all fields in a document, Ctrl+A, then F9.
Come back if they dont go away.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Bodkin" wrote:

I have documents with an index and numbering which looks fine when printed
but on screen requires me to toggle codes to make it readable. Does anyone
know how to get word to update the codes automatically so that it is easier
to read and amend?