Default Auto-numbering keeps goofing up

First of all, make sure that you have set up your numbering following the
instructions in
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. You will
need, at minimum, a Question style (Level 1), an Answer style (Level 2), and
a style for unnumbered text (you can use Normal or Body Text). Define the
Question style such that the Answer style is the "Style for following
paragraph," and assign it a keyboard shortcut so that you can resume the
question numbering after typing your multiple-choice answers. Alternatively,
you can use Word's built-in keyboard shortcuts to promote/demote items in
the list.

"Gary Burton" wrote in message
I am creating a long numbered list of questions for my students. I

must
use auto-numbering because I add and delete questions as well as moving

them
around. I type up the questions using auto-numbering as follows:

1. Question 1
a. Answer 1
b. Answer 2
c. Answer 3

2. Question 2
a. Answer 4
b. Answer 5

3. Question 3 (draw a picture)

4. Question 4 (fill in the blank)

Then I sometimes need to do a paragraph formating operation. When I

do,
the whole system gets messed up as follows:

1.
2. Question 1
a. Answer 1
b. Answer 2
c. Answer 3
d.
3. Question 2
a. Answer 4
b. Answer 5
c.
4. Question 3 (draw a picture)
5.
6.
7.
8. Question 4 (fill in the blank)
9.

I have tried everything I can think of, including reading all the
posting on these two newsgroups; but I have not found a solution. I have
looked at all the choices in "paragraph formating" and in "bullets and
numbering" and tried many of the options. I can manually correct each
question using the backspace key, but we are talking about a whole

homework
book with hundreds of questions in it and this thing happens all too

often.

Please help!!!!

--
Gary Burton