Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Default Advice for variations on a document?

Word 2003, Win XP Pro SP2

I have several variations on my resume: volunteer work shown or not,
different objectives, and so on. These affect maybe a total of 5% of
the text, in four or five places.

Right now, each variation is stored as a separate document. The
problem is that most changes affect the common parts, meaning that I
have to make them in each of the documents. I was thinking it could
be easier to set up a single document and handle the variations by
field within it.

This doesn't feel like a mail-merge application to me.

After some time with Word help, I've identified IF fields and SET
fields. If I understand correctly, I could have one SET field for the
variation name, then the other fields would reference it in IF tests
to determine which text to display. After changing the SET field, I'd
update all fields when printing.

Does that seem like a reasonable approach, or am I missing something?

P.S. What happens when I e-mail the document to someone? Is there an
easy way to replace all the field codes with the current computed
text?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/